This proposal track is open to initiatives aiming to advance marine ecosystem resilience, inform, improve, and propagate effective conservation and management methodologies, and scale up conservation with innovation in best practices, platforms, sensors, software, and data services.
Before writing your Expression of Interest, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the wide range of operational, technological, analytical, and informational support and services available from Schmidt Ocean Institute.
Any geographic regions can be considered for projects that do not require the use of R/V Falkor. For the initiatives requiring the use of R/V Falkor, feel free to request any operational site location throughout the global ocean, noting that R/V Falkor is not a Polar Class vessel and is therefore generally unable to support operations in latitudes higher than 60° North or South. The regions where R/V Falkor will operate in 2019 and 2020 have already been defined, and target areas for 2021 will be selected to accommodate the top ranking Expressions of Interest that Schmidt Ocean Institute receives in response to this call. If your project is flexible with regards to geographical regions where shipboard testing and trials can take place, please be sure to state that in your Expression of Interest.
- Expressions of Interests are due by Friday, December 28, 2018.
- All Expressions of Interest will be reviewed by independent non-conflicted experts between January and March of 2019 using the evaluation criteria listed above.
- Up to 15-20 full proposals will be invited from select research teams applying to this track, tentatively, in April and due by mid-June 2019, subject to the review comments.
- Full proposals will be formally evaluated by independent non-conflicted peer experts between June and September 2019.
- An interdisciplinary panel consisting of independent non-conflicted broad-area experts will evaluate all proposals, tentatively in September of 2019.
- A prioritized list of proposals will be compiled based on the review feedback and submitted for review and approval to the Schmidt Ocean Institute Executive Board.
- All proponents will be informed about the outcomes of the proposal review process, tentatively, by October 2019.