The International Coral Reef Initiative (ICRI) organised an Ocean + evening event at the 3rd International Marine Protected Congress (IMPAC3) jointly with the French Coral Reef Initiative, to present major achievements of both initiatives and showcase how they echo each other.
The event was chaired by Carl Gustaf Lundin, Head IUCN Marine, and officially opened by His Excellency Patrick Van Klaveren from the Principality of Monaco (which partly funded the event). Introductory words were provided by the French government (Christophe Lenormand) and the ICRI Secretariat (Anne Caillaud).
His Excellency Patrick Van Klaveren from Monaco opens the eventCarl Gustav Lundin from IUCN presents ICRI and IFRECOR
Ocean + event program
The Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network (GCRMN)
- Professor Jeremy Jackson, GCRMN Scientific coordinator, presented the findings of the GCRMN Caribbean report by video – watch video
- Dr. Serge Planes, CRIOBE, then explained how GCRMN was operating in French Overseas Territories (Polynesia and in the Indian Ocean) within IFRECOR’s framework – Presentation
Responses to the invasive lionfish in the Caribbean
- Helene Souan from CAR-SPAW, presented and launched ICRI’s Regional Lionfish Strategy – watch video – Presentation
- Aurélie Thomassin, French Government presented how the lionfish problem is tackled in the French territories of Martinique and Guadeloupe, within IFRECOR’s framework – Presentation
Helen Souan from CAR-SPAW launches the Regional Lionfish Strategy
Putting a price on coral reefs: socio-economic valuation and sustainable financing
- Nicolas Pascal, Chair of ICRI’s Ad Hoc Committee on economic valuation and IFRECOR’s ‘transversal theme’ committee, presented coral reef evaluation work by ICRI and IFRECOR. Presentation
Participants then had an opportunity to read ICRI and IFRECOR posters (including on the ICRI East Asia Regional activities); take copies of books and brochures including the Regional Lionfish Strategy and the GCRMN Caribbean Report, and network.