Member Type Non Governmental Organization
Coral Guardian is a not-for-profit organization empowering coastal communities for the conservation of coral ecosystems, integrating sustainable community development while leveraging social and economic impact through marine ecosystems preservation and valuation.
We develop community-led programs for integrated coral reef management, LMMAs establishment funded with circular economic models to ensure their full autonomy.
Integrated Reef Management
- We train fishermen in coral reef restoration techniques and monitoring of the evolution of the reef through simplified biological survey protocols. This allows them to observe everyday the increasing number of species colonizing the restored reef.
- We use it as an educative tool. We train them also to conduct monthly social survey and collect fisheries data among their community, so they can understand the impact of sustainable reef management.
- We help to protect coral reefs and rebuild fisheries through the establishment of a Marine Protected Area (LMMA) locally managed.
- We provide theoretical and practical training in marine ecology, marine biology, coral culture and circular economic models.
- We help to value coral reefs and empower communities to become leaders and train others. Once the previous steps are completed, the fishermen work autonomously.We help them establish a structure in which the village can work cooperatively together, this continues our work and set an example for other local communities.
- We build learning centers to support communities to share their experiences and empower others and young generations from local schools to international universites.
Last Updated: 8 July 2020