The Ad Hoc Committee on Coral Reef Associated Fisheries was created in 2010 at ICRI’s 24 General Meeting in Monaco, where a special session on Coral Reef Associated Fisheries was held. It was tasked with compiling information for ICRI members about sustainable management of coral reef associated fisheries. The Committee was originally co-chaired by Coral Reef Initiatives for the Pacific (CRISP) and the Society for the Conservation of Reef Fish Aggregations (SCRFA); since the CRISP program has now come to an end it is now solely being chaired by SCRFA. At the last ICRI General Meeting (OCtober 2014), amended Terms of Reference were adopted.
The Ad Hoc Committee has agreed on undertaking the following 6 activities:
- Continue to work with ICRI Secretariat to disseminate information on key science and management issues for fish aggregations, and the need to ensure fish aggregations are included in coral reef management planning.
- Engage ICRI members to contribute information to the SCRFA Fish Aggregation Database to fill information gaps.
- Depending if adequate information is obtained, produce an updated version of the Status Report – World’s Fish Aggregations.
- Produce an information sheet on the importance of sustainable reef associated fisheries to the health of coral reefs.
- Link with the Regional Lionfish Committee to provide an update to ICRI about the impact of lionfish on fisheries species in the Caribbean.
- Provide an update to ICRI on land-use and fishing impact on bumphead parrotfish, a fish species essential to coral reef health.
Activities and achievements so far include:
- Release of a Status Report on the current status based on the best available information for fish spawning aggregations globally. An analysis of 888 records of fish spawning aggregations for over 200 species from 44 families in 52 countries has revealed important information for science and management of fish aggregations and the fisheries they support. The records are maintained in a global web-based database managed by Science and Conservation of Fish Aggregations (SCRFA).
- Participation at the seventh SPC Heads of Fisheries Meeting held in March 2011.
- Compilation of a comprehensive global list of Regional Fisheries Management Organisations (RFMOs) (Excel file) put together jointly with the IUCN Species Survival Commission's Marine Conservation. The list does not include Regional Fishery Organizations with no management capacity.
- Creation of a sub-Committee to enable discussions about how RFMOs can be best engaged for coral-reef associated fisheries in the region.
- Compilation of a pamphlet presenting success stories on reef fisheries management in the Pacific
- Production of two films to raise awareness about spawning aggregations, using one of the few known and accessible pristine grouper aggregations in the Pacific: Spawning for survival
- Amended Terms of Reference for the ICRI Ad Hoc Committee on Coral Reef Associated Fisheries (October 2013)
- Amended Terms of Reference for the ICRI Ad Hoc Committee on Coral Reef Associated Fisheries (GM25) - Expired
- Terms of Reference for the ICRI AHC on Coral Reef Associated Fisheries (GM24) - Expired