Mobilizing action and resources for coral reef survival and strengthened resilience of reef-dependent communities
Date: 16 September 2020, 11:00am-12:30pm NY Eastern Time
A global coalition of partners invites you to a high-level event of the “Global Fund for Coral Reefs” on September 16th at 11:00 am NY Eastern Time. This new United Nations Multi-Partner Trust Fund for SDG 14 ‘Life Below Water’ is a blended finance instrument aiming to catalyse private sector investment in the blue economy and coral reef conservation. By closing the coral reef funding gap, the Fund aims to mobilise resources to make coral reef ecosystems and communities more resilient in the context of the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework.
This virtual high-level event will showcase the Fund’s ambition, funding approach and partnership between Member States, private philanthropic and impact investors. Speakers will include H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco, Achim Steiner (Administrator, UNDP), Inger Andersen (Executive Director, UNEP), Bill Hilf (CEO, Vulcan Inc.), Peter Thomson (United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for the Ocean), Judith Karl (Executive Secretary, UNCDF), Antoine Sire (Head of Company Engagement, BNP Paribas), Yannick Glemarec (Executive Director, GCF) and supportive Member States and Organizations.
Session 1 – Call To Action and Introduction to the Global Fund for Coral Reefs
- H.S.H Prince Albert II of Monaco
- Inger Andersen, Executive Director, UNEP
- Achim Steiner, Administrator, UNDP
- Bill Hilf, CEO, Vulcan Inc.
- Antoine Sire, Director of the Company Engagement Department, BNP Paribas
- Zac Goldsmith, Minister for Pacific and the Environment, United Kingdom
- Ms Haydée Rodriguez Romero, Vice-Minister Water and Seas, Costa Rica
- Josh Thomas, CEO, Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, Australia
- Bérangère Abba, Minister of State for Biodiversity, France
- Gerd Müller, Minister of Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany (TBC)
Session 2 – Challenges and Opportunities in the Covid19 context and the Super Year of Nature
- H.E. Peter Thomson, United Nations Special Envoy for the Ocean
- Elisabeth Mrema, Executive Secretary, Convention on Biological Diversity
- H.E. Lois Michele Young, Permanent Representative of Belize to the United Nations and Chair of the Alliance of Small Island States (AOSIS)
- Yannick Glemarec, Executive Director, Green Climate Fund
Session 3 – Developing an Investment Vision for the Blue Economy
- Judith Karl, Executive Secretary, United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF)
- Simon Dent, Director, Sustainable Ocean Fund Althelia Funds- Mirova/Natixis Investment Managers
- Ambassador Satyendra Prasad, Permanent Mission of Fiji to the United Nations, Chair of Pacific Small Island Developing States (PSIDS)
Watch the recording of the event here.
- Flyer for the Global Fund for Coral Reefs
- Brochure for the Global Fund for Coral Reefs
- Global Fund for Coral Reefs – Terms of Reference
- Global Fund for Coral Reefs – Theory of Change
- ICRI Resolution on the Global Fund for Coral Reefs
- Global Fund for Coral Reefs- Webinar recording
- Global Fund for Coral Reefs Website