Meetings Side Events
The purpose of the side event is to present the International Coral Reef Initiative (ICRI), its work (relevant to mangroves) and improve the collaboration between “mangrove” countries and ICRI. During the event, some countries will present their Ramsar sites with coral reef and some of the management and education actions. the link between mangroves and coral reefs will be highlighted, and some countries (with coral and mangroves) will present their work. An overview of the ICRI International Year of the Reef 2008, a worldwide campaign to raise awareness about the value and importance of coral reefs and threats to their sustainability will close the event.
A newly published booklet entitled “Economic Values of Coral Reefs, Mangroves, and Seagrasses – A Global Compilation 2008” will be available at the event.
- Welcoming, opening and presentation of the International Coral Reef Initiative (USA)
- Remarks from the Ramsar secretariat (Maria Rivera)
- Country “case studies” – Presentation of the Ramsar sites with coral reef and a description of the conservation and education actions
- Mexico (as the current co-chair of ICRI), Dr. Ernesto Enkerlin Hoeflich, National Commissioner of CONANP
- France, Emmanuel Thiry, ministere de l’Ecologie, de l’Energie, du Developpement durable et de l’Amenagement du territoire
- Japan, Ms. Fumiko Nakao or Mr. Naoki Amako, Ministry of the Environment
- Jamaica, Ainsley Henry, National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA)
- Brief presentation of the International Year of the Reef campaign (Francis Staub)
- Questions and answers