6th International Tropical Marine Ecosystems Management Symposium (ITMEMS)

Healthy reef, wealthy ocean

The upcoming 6th International Tropical Marine Ecosystems Management Symposium (ITMEMS 6) will be held in Manado, (Indonesia) between the 14th-17th of April 2020 under the theme ‘Healthy Reef, Wealthy Ocean'.


ITMEMS is a core activity of ICRI and has been convened by ICRI Secretariats in 1998 (Australia), 2003 (Philippines), 2006 (Mexico), 2009 (Guadeloupe) and 2016 (Philippines), with the involvement and participation of ICRI members. To read more about previous ITMEMS see here.

ITMEMS 6 will focus on coral reef management challenges and their possible solutions. The objective of this symposium is to explore approaches in sustainable coral reef management and their related ecosystems.

We are currently developing the programme and we welcome suggestions on topics you would like to see included in this symposium.

In the interim if you would like more information, please contact Claire Rumsey and Fegi Nurhabni.

Latest news:

Registration is now open! Please complete the online participants questionnaire by 15th November to be considered.

 

ITMEMS 6 is being sponsored by Indonesia, Australia and the Government of Sweden.

Proposed Schedule:

  • Tuesday 14th (Day 1) - Opening ceremony, parallel sessions, welcome dinner and performance
  • Wednesday 15th (Day 2) - Parallel sessions
  • Thursday 16th (Day 3) - Parallel sessions, development of declaration/ address/ statement/ conclusion/recommendation from ITMEMS, closing ceremony
  • Friday 17th (Day 4) - Post-symposium fieldtrip

Possible topics will include:

  • Innovative Funding
  • Sustainable Tourism
  • Reef Resilience
  • Strategic Communication
  • Utilizing new mapping technologies to enhance coral reef management and monitoring
  • Live Reef Food Fish Trade
  • Methods for scaling mitigation and compensatory measures in tropical marine ecosystems

We are currently developing the programme and we welcome suggestions on topics you would like to see included in this symposium.

A field trip will take place on Friday, April 17th to the Bunaken National Marine Park, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. The park was founded in 1991 and covers 89,065 hectares. 97% of which covers the marine environment and the remaining 3% is terrestrial.

Bunaken National Park is located in the centre of world's coral triangle, and features roughly 11,700 ha of coral reefs, 2,434 ha of mangroves and 5,108 ha of seagrass beds. There are also over 2000 species of reef fish, more than 200 species of molluscs, and eight species of marine mammals. 

The park is managed by the Indonesian Ministry of Environment and Forestry.

About Manado

Manado is the capital city of the Indonesian province of North Sulawesi. Manado is located at the Bay of Manado and is surrounded by a mountainous area. The city had 675,411 inhabitants at the 2010 Census, making it the second-largest city in Sulawesi after Makassar.

Venue

The venue for the symposium will be the Novotel Manado.

Airport

The nearest airport is Sam Ratulangi International Airport (MDC) in North Sulawesi, 13 kilometres northeast of Manado.

Visa

For information on Visas, and to see if you are from a Visa-exempt country see the Indonesia travel website.
It is recommended that should you need a Visa for entry this is applied for before entry into the country.

Climate

Daily high temperatures are around 87°F, rarely falling below 84°F or exceeding 91°F. Daily low temperatures are around 74°F, rarely falling below 73°F or exceeding 76°F.

Currency

The currency in Indonesia is Indonesia Rupiah.

Language

The main language is Bahasa Inodnesia.