Coral Reef Associated Fisheries
The Ad Hoc Committee on Coral Reef Associated Fisheries was created in 2010 at ICRI’s 24 General Meeting in Monaco, where a special session on Coral Reef Associated Fisheries was held. It was tasked with compiling information for ICRI members about sustainable management of coral reef associated fisheries. The Committee was originally co-chaired by Coral Reef Initiatives for the Pacific (CRISP) and the Society for the Conservation of Reef Fish Aggregations (SCRFA); since the CRISP program has now come to an end it is now solely being chaired by SCRFA.
Activities & achievements
Activities and achievements so far include:
- Participation at the seventh SPC Heads of Fisheries Meeting held in March 2011.
- Compilation of a comprehensive global list of Regional Fisheries Management Organisations (RFMOs) (Excel file) put together jointly with the IUCN Species Survival Commission's Marine Conservation. The list does not include Regional Fishery Organizations with no management capacity.
- Creation of a sub-Committee to enable discussions about how RFMOs can be best engaged for coral-reef associated fisheries in the region.
- Compilation of a pamphlet presenting success stories on reef fisheries management in the Pacific
- Production of two films to raise awareness about spawning aggregations, using one of the few known and accessible pristine grouper aggregations in the Pacific: Spawning for survival
Terms of Reference
- Amended Terms of Reference for the ICRI Ad Hoc Committee on Coral Reef Associated Fisheries (October 2013)
- Amended Terms of Reference for the ICRI Ad Hoc Committee on Coral Reef Associated Fisheries (GM25) - Expired
- Terms of Reference for the ICRI AHC on Coral Reef Associated Fisheries (GM24) - Expired
Other ICRI Documents related to this AHC
- Status and challenges for coral reef fisheries session (GM 24)
- Case study on Brazilian fisheries (GM 24)
- Resolution on coral reef-associated fisheries (GM24)
- Resolution on Sustainable Fisheries and Food Security (GM11)
- Recommendation for coral reef sustainable fisheries (GM9)
- Resolution on Fisheries (GM8)
- Science and Conservation of Fish Aggregations (SCRFA)
- SPC's Coastal Fisheries Programme (CFP)
- Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute (GCFI)
- Regional fisheries management organisations (RFMOs)
For more information on this AHC contact the ICRI Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.